Monday, November 7, 2011

Link to Youtube mixer

http://www.unr.edu/art/site/areas_of_emphasis/digital_media/projects/Haleigh_Hoff.html

For my YouTube mixer I decided to film 15 videos of a familiar subject shown in an unfamiliar light. As a dance teacher at Nevada Dance Academy, my job entitles me to work in a field that I am passionate about and I hold much interest in the subject, dance. I began filming segments of my classes that were obscure to film, I was never filming the students during a 'performance' time, and most of the time, they had no idea that they were being filmed. I had the camera at strange angles and at unusual times, I wanted this to be candid, nothing prepared or posed. I chose to to edit each video and put them all into a similar 'theme' or 'filter' so they would all somewhat eery and dark. Each video was also altered in different ways, I sped some up, slowed some down, reversed a few, dubbed the audio by putting a different song over the  original footage or playing with the pitches of the different videos. I chose to do this because I wanted my mixer to come together to create a different outlook of dancing, or perspectives of dance through the classroom, or through my role as a teacher. Using young children in a dark and mysterious way is haunting and made me think of the ways I could use this project to show the alternative side of my job, the side that people don't usually think of when they think of being a teacher to young, cute, and 'innocent' children. I mixed in footage of myself tapping to create an audio and visual deterrence, and by framing only my feet and lower part of my legs in the shots made it less personal. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment