Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Assignment 7 part 2

For the second part of my assignment #7 I chose the subject of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and condom usage, because for my generation, this is a serious issue and quite frankly I think that some more awareness would prevent a lot of people from getting these diseases quite easily. There are already some advertising things out there that I have seen that I find successful, such as making condom wrappers humorous by being straight to the point and aggressive. Such as...


After seeing these images posted on the internet, it struck me that what is written on condom wrappers could really impact the way people feel about wearing/using them. I think approaching STD awareness and pregnancy awareness could be impacted in the same way by dominant public advertising in a humorous/sarcastic style. My idea for condoms is to keep the fun, familiar and tricky innuendo images and recognizable sayings on the front side of the wrapper, then on the back side provide straight up information such as.... "1 out of the 5 people in the USA have an STD, 1 in 4 people will contract an STD at some point in the course of their life." and also add information about pregnancy, "Being a teen mom isnt as wonderful as MTV reality tv shows pretend to be." "imagine yourself holding a baby in 9 months, how do you feel about that?"
Beyond advertising on actual condoms, I would want to see more "in your face" advertisements that young people could see on a daily basis. I think wearing clothing that stated facts boldly about std's, pregnancy, or condom usage would be extremely powerful in an awareness sense.
I believe the best advertising for people of our generation is the advertising that gets people laughing, yet it is still a serious matter. I think if the public were to be plastered with advertisements that were abrupt and bold about wearing condoms, avoiding pregnancy, and avoiding STD's, there would be a lot less of them swarming our communities. I would like to see shirts, posters, and even billboards with ads showing things like this...


I would create a big billboard, very plain, very simple with just bold text saying..

"Condoms Prevent Minivans"

No comments:

Post a Comment